Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Status Update: No. 6 August

So I am down to a measly/long two weeks!!! I can’t decide if that is too soon or too far away?! I guess it is more real now that I am buying my train tickets for the side trip to Tours. This process turned out to be quite a headache.

For those who are not familiar with the trains in France, the TGV trains run to different cities in France and even in other countries. You can purchase tickets at the train station or on-line. It was recommended by the lovely folks on http://www.ourparisforum.com/ that you purchase tickets in advance to get a better deal and ensure you get the right train. Well the TGV has 2 sites, one is for the American tourist and the other is for the European tourist. The American site is www.raileurope.com . This site is ok, easy enough to navigate, BUT you are pushed into a corner where you pay for delivery of tickets. For my choice it ranged from $18-36. So I decided to try the French version of the site: www.voyages-sncf.com/ . At the bottom of the page, there is an option for the English version, but make sure you select France as your country. Go through the process of selecting your itinerary, and then select France as the country where you will pick up the ticket. This allows you to at least choose the option to pick up the ticket at the station. The option to print seems nonexistent, although that may be some possible glitch. Before I booked them I checked on Tripadvisor for a thread that a user created on how to buy tickets. From that I figured out that the shuttle being added was eliminating my option to Print. Once I changed that, it all worked well.

In the next few days I think I will do a practice pack. I know, it sounds unbelievably dorky but I need to figure out if I’ll be ok with my current luggage, otherwise I need to borrow a suitcase from my sister. My plan is to take my big suitcase and check it, but also carry on my back-pack that will hold some essentials and an actual purse. I think that this is doable although I haven’t tried packing yet. I just don’t want to be dragging twenty pieces of luggage with me.
Did I mention I figured out how to get to the apartment? Once again thanks to the people over at OurParis, I figured out my best bet is to take the Roissy Shuttle bus to L’Opera station and then take a taxi over to the apartment. Should be relatively headache free and I won’t have to maneuver the Metro with luggage!


I am getting more and more excited by the day! I absolutely cannot wait to finally be able to get on the plane and fly away!! I don’t care about cramped seats or Jetlag, just give me Paris!

No comments: