Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Status Update: No. 5 July

So I’m down to three weeks before my trip!!! Three weeks as in 21 days, roughly 500 hours!

All I want to do right now is pack up my suitcase and fly away to the City of Lights. Granted, I still don’t know how I am going to pack! I’ve looked at countless sites, got advice from various people, and I still don’t know. My favorite website is http://www.onebag.com . They have some interesting tips, even if they tell me my luggage is horrible! They highly recommend soft luggage, something along the lines of duffel on wheels or a large backpack without wheels. They claim that hard wheeled luggage that most people own is not useful in cities with older streets and it does not pack as much. Oh well…I think if so many people love that type of luggage there has to be some reason for it! The rest of their tips are very sensible and they provide some good links.

Now…for all those who know me… I do have an itinerary subject to change… I still have not figured out how to add in Chartres or St.Denis but it will be done! Right now I am favoring St.Denis, but that is subject to change.
Rough Outline w/ Links (mine is more specific!)

Aug 21
Fly out to Paris
Aug 22 Aug 23 Aug 24 Aug 25 Aug 26 Aug 27 & Aug 28
  • Tours, France
  • Guided tours of the châteaux of the Loire Valley
Aug 29 Aug 30 Aug 31 Sept 1
  • Possible St.Denis Day or Chartres excursion
Sept 2 Sept 3 Sept 4 Sept 5
  • Depart for Chicago
My itinerary runs into more detail as far as costs, locations, and even an hour by hour schedule. It may be too complex and I may abandon the entire plan, but for now, I at least have something to use as a start point. I am trying to figure out what else I am missing. I want to visit Parc Monceau at some point and a church called St.Etienne-du-Mont. Then there is also the Musee Marmotten, Le Grand Palais, Le Petit Palais, Canal St.Martin, Musee Carnavalet, Invalides, Musee de Quai Branly ……

So much to see and so little time! I don’t want to plan too many things at once because that would wear me out too quickly, but I do want to see a lot! So I try compromise, with some days more busy than the rest, but typically 2-3 main things each day.

On another vein of thought…
My dad is officially panicked. My mom told me someone has been filling his head with stories on how horrible the French can be towards Americans. He now thinks I will be attacked by some crazy French folk. This worrying only compounds any of the previous unease he had experienced. I have warned everyone to stop reminding him, but apparently the Polish news did not get the memo. This weekend there was an accident on the Metro in Paris (no casualties) and it through my dad into another panic! I no longer talk about Paris in front of him because I think he may have a meltdown! I am the first one in the family to completely go off on my own like this. No chaperone or companion, no family to visit. Just me….finally free!

With that I will conclude today’s entry.
There will be more to come as I get anxious, nervous, excited, impatient, annoyed, frazzled, and every other adjective in the book!

No comments: