Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Beginning

The beginning of a trip of a lifetime...where does it start?

I must say my trip started in 6th grade, in '96/'97.
I was enrolled in a foreign language course for the first time in my life.
I was bilingual by then, speaking both Polish and English, but never had I set out to learn a different language without a goal or reason.
The only language offered was French, so I jumped at the opportunity.
I wasn't the best student that year, and Madame was not the best teacher.
But I was simply hooked, in my pre-adolescent mind, France was as exotic as the world got.
Being exposed to the pictures of Paris, the Loire, the Alps...it was a form of brain washing.

I didn't really start learning the language till 8th grade when we had a new teacher, and she made the learning actually stick in my mind. I went on to study French in high school, had a different teacher every year due to changing schools. But this didn't deter me, I still loved french as a language and culture. It was in high school that I first heard of the foreign exchange program. I'm sure I drove my parents insane with all the talking I did on the subject. I REALLY wanted to go, so as is typical of me, I researched, found posters, and took it overboard.

Unfortunately once I was qualified for the program, it was cancelled. Gone were my dreams of Strasbourg and Paris, and in their place lay the aftermath of terrorism. Even though I was not in New York and I knew no one there, the terrorism of 9/11 had a ripple effect and even reached a simple high school student, half way across the country.

My dreams were on hold, not to be fulfilled in high school.

In college, I thought I would have a golden opportunity.
Instead tuition bills, a very heavy and inflexible course load, and parental hesitance led me to put my dreams aside for four more years.

My dream trip had become a family joke...such a lovely dream, but never fulfilled.
It's not that I gave up, but I did stop thinking about it as often. I didn't see it as a possibility for the near future.

But now, with graduation looming around the corner and a job contract signed, my dream resurfaces. I find that I am more confident about setting out on my own. I don't need a friend or parent with me...I feel adult enough to push forward and satisfy my dream.

My preparation and research had begun about 5 weeks ago. I signed up for a great website (www.tripadvisor.com) and found heaps of information. I poured over the listings on www.vrbo.com to locate the ideal apartment. I renewed my citizenship application so that when I travel to France, it will be on an American Passport.

I am on my way to an adventure, and if you stay with me you're in for a heck of a ride.
The planning, the budgeting, the works...and then the Trip itself.

Maybe I can help someone else realize their dream, or maybe I can put a smile on someones face because of my almost OCD-like antics.

Whatever the case, enjoy the Trip.

~~Anna~~

1 comment:

jo(anna) said...

GOOD LUCK!!!YOU GO GIRL!!!!