Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Day 9: A little relaxed


When my ninth day in Paris dawned, I realized I was not as anxious to start to get up and running. The last 3 days of Chateaux and Versailles really took a toll on me! So I decided to spend the morning lazying around before heading out to the Rodin Museum.
I got dressed and strolled to the bakery for some fresh bread and then to the market for some breakfast supplies. I made myself a delicious omelet and listened to my new favorite radio station, Chante France. After breakfast, I stopped at a café nearby for the obligatory café crème which I had begun to cherish and expect as my treat of the day. I spent some time people watching, but also dove into my new book, A Year In Merde. I loved the fact that I could actually relate to some of the things in the book and found them hilarious.

Soon with my cup empty and feeling much more relaxed, I checked my metro map to plot out the best way to the Musee Rodin. By now this was an easy task, and before I knew it I was there! I took advantage of the under 25 deal, which really makes you realize that any sort of college id or youth card isn’t necessary! The museum itself is beautiful. The buildings architecture was just as interesting as anything you could find inside! I decided to head indoors, before viewing the outside gardens. The museum is a lot less crowded than se
veral other museums I have been too, so it allowed for a very leisurely stroll among the exhibits. I have to say that the sculptures really appealed to me more than the other art I have seen to date. It may the fact that they are tangible or in three dimensions, or perhaps the variety of mediums used, I am not sure which it was, but it really impressed me. Although, like in all the museums, a few pieces of art managed to scandalized little conservative Anna. If only my parents knew….

Once I had made my way around the indoor exhibits, I headed out to the garden. Here some of the famous works resided, The Thinker, The Gates of Hell. The weather was superb, so the walk around the beautiful garden was very pleasant. I ended up stopping at the café to order an ice cream and sat in the garden reading a little and just enjoying my surroundings.

By the time I left it was early afternoon, so I went back to my apartment to make some lunch and take a short nap since I had planned on staying out late-ish. I made myself a sandwich and had a little wine, and then promptly fell asleep! I was so glad that the itinerary I h
ad created allowed me to do things like nap, because being in Paris was exhausting after awhile, but in a very wonderful way!

After my nap I decided to stroll along the river for a bit before heading to the Eiffel Tower. The walk was wonderful and it was great to not be rushing anywhere and just enjoying the people and the scenery. It really made me love Paris more than I thought possible. Once again, I stopped after awhile to read a bit by the river (Note to self: Do not bring really good books on vacation!). Once it started getting dark, I went on my way to see the Eiffel Tower sparkle!

As I arrived it was just sparkling for the first time. That is truly a sight you cannot miss when in Paris, it may not be quintessential but it is beautiful! The line to go up to the top was still a bit long so I decided to wait a bit before braving the heights! I didn’t realize how many people would be there trying to sell various wares. From men selling key chain Eiffel Towers to me
n selling wine and champagne! What made it even more amusing was when all of a sudden these peddlers starting swarming across the lawn to towards the cover of the trees! It was like a swarm of ants!! I guess the police patrol had stopped by and frightened away the peddlers!


Still laughing I headed towards the lines to go up to the top. I was still worried but it was definitely something I wanted to do. So now the line was really short, and I got my ticket and was on the first elevator in minutes. It was still crowded but very quick. I didn’t exit on the first level, but did get out on the 2nd level as is mandatory. The view from there is very beautiful! I did not expect it to be so pretty from only half way up, but it definitely was!! I must have looked around for ages before I remembered I still had one more level to ascend. The line for this elevator was a bit longer, but the people-watching was fun. I tried to determine the origins of various tourists to pass the time.

The elevator ride definitely scared me witless! This elevator rode closer to the outsi
de, to the point it looked like you would fall out. I was having a minor panic attack, worrying the doors would open while we were outside. It was to my intense relief that we actually arrived in a glass enclosed area, without an immediate view outside! I looked around from the inside , till I became comfortable enough to go up the flight of stairs to get outside. Finally getting up there was intense! Not only had I conquered a fear, but I had arrived at the top of the world! The view was even more breath taking than on the other levels and nice breeze made it wonderful!! I took in as much as I could before descending again and taking the elevators down. I didn’t go home right away, but staying and watched the next twinkling, and just enjoying Paris.

No comments: